(BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Wiring Regulations 2018
A 3 day 18th Edition Wiring Regulations training course for persons with responsibility for the design, installation or maintenance of electrical systems. The course is designed for electrically trained engineers/craftsmen to attain a benchmark qualification relating to the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations.
What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this course individuals will be conversant with the format, content and the application of the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Wiring Regulations.
Benefits of attending for the employer
- Compliance with legislation.
- Better documentation, communication and enforcement of safe working procedures.
Benefits of attending for the delegate
- Greater understanding and compliance with legislation.
- 18th Edition Wiring Regulations certification
Key learning points:
- The terminology used for electrical installations.
- The assessment of the installation that has to be carried out.
- Protection against electric shock.
- Protection against short-circuit currents.
- Isolation and switching.
- Protection against overloads.
- Sizing conductors for the above.
- Selection and erection of equipment.
- Sizing of earthing and protective conductors.
- Outline of the rules for inspection and testing.
What qualifications will you achieve?
- This course incorporates assessment and certification under City and Guilds; the Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Regulations. The certification cost is additional to the course price.
Changes from the 17th edition
Changes for 18th Edition are suggested to be as follows (*):
- Protection against over voltages - Clause 443 is likely to be overhauled.
- Protection against fire - Chapter 42 will be updated with extra information on arc fault detection.
- Electrical Embedded heating - Section 753 will be extended to include embedded electrical heating systems for surface heating, and will include de-icing and frost prevention systems.
- Energy efficiency - There will be a brand new section covering energy efficiency.
* Course duration and content may change once the full scope of the update is released.
As there are significant changes in the 18th Edition, we have also been advised that there won’t be a refresher for those who have already undertaken the 17th Edition.
How is this training delivered?
- Delegates are continually assessed, both in written and practical exercises, and there are opportunities to work with a wide range of equipment that will support their knowledge in the field.
- This course can be intense, as it includes evening work in terms of both the reading of course materials and completion of projects.
- An online examination is undertaken on the final day.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Delegates should bring a calculator, a copy of BS7671 18th Edition Wiring Regulations and the On Site Guide.
- Delegates can also bring with them any materials used by their employer, copies of risk assessments or management systems so that they can see how their materials fit in to the context of the training.